Monday, September 29, 2008

Blessings taken for granted



Today, my mother told me about a missionary friend who teached at a school in rural China. On her second day at school, the students exclaimed, "Wow, teacher! You have TWO pairs of clothes!"

I was surprised to hear such a response. But these people are so poor that simple things like a change of clothes is so grand to them.

Hearing this immediately brought my mind back home to my overflowing cupboard. Lately, my two cupboards have been getting fuller and fuller. Hanging rods are stuffed, and stacks of clothes at the bottom getting higher and higher...

...and YET, it always seem like there's never anything to wear! Girls, doesn't this hit close to home?

What my mom told me makes me wonder, do I really need all that much clothes? After all, I pretty much don't wear 90% of the things in my cupboard.

Little blessing such as a change of clothes, we take for granted. Worse still, we don't appreciate them. We demand for more and more clothes... and more and more things that we could easily live without.

It's about time we think about our spending.

No comments: